David Davies of Llandinam
1880- 1944, first Baron Davies
The son of Edward and Mary Davies, he became an MP at the age 26. In World War I raised and commanded the 14th Battalion, the Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Like his grandfather he was a passionate benefactor. His name is linked with the Welsh campaign against tuberculosis and the international crusade for world peace. In 1911, with his sisters, he founded the King Edward VII Welsh National Memorial Association which developed into a nation-wide scheme with many sanatoria and hospitals.
From 1919 David Davies pursued international peace and was a founder of the League of Nations Union. He died in June 1944 a few months before his son and heir, Major David (Mike) Davies, the second Baron Davies of Llandinam was killed in action in Holland.
Gwendoline Elizabeth Davies 1882- 1951
Like her family Gwendoline was a great benefactor. Together with her sister, she was also an art collector and supporter of the arts. They acquired Gregynog Mansion near Newtown, in 1920, to develop an arts and crafts centre for Wales. The sisters established a private press, the Gregynog Press.
They began to buy paintings seriously in 1908 and built up notable collections. A Music Room was built at Gregynog and a concert programme developed. There were annual Festivals of Music and Poetry between 1933 and 1938.
The sisters were members of the Gregynog Choir that sang on these occasions. Visitors included Elgar, Holst and Vaughan Williams.
Margaret Sidney Davies
Margaret like her sister Gwendoline was an art collector and benefactor. She was also a skilful amateur painter of ability.
After her sister's death she developed her collection of paintings to include Bonnard, Kokoschka, Sisley, Utrillo and others. She also purchased work by contemporary British painters.
In 1960 she gifted her home Gregynog and its estate to the University of Wales for use as a residential conference and artistic centre.
Their collection of major artworks was bequeathed to the National Museum of Wales
Edward was the son and only heir of David and Margaret Davies.
He had a deep interest in chemistry and mechanical engineering. Like his father he was a great benefactor.
He inherited the huge business empire but found it a considerable burden.
This stress is thought to have been responsible for his early death at the age of forty-five.
He left an estate with a gross value of £1,206,311.
below, Gregynog Hall
David Davies bought Plas Dinam in 1884.
For a short period during the war Gordonstoun School was relocated from Scotland to Plas Dinam to ensure the safety of the schoolboys. The house also housed an Agricultural College for a period after the war.
Lady (Eldrydd) Davies, wife of the Third Lord Davies, effectively inherited the house when her husband Mike was killed in action in Holland in 1944. Her father in law had died earlier in the same year. Raising two sons by herself at Llwynderw in the village, she took the momentous decision to move back into Plas Dinam in 1957 with her two sons David and Jonathan. It has been a much-loved family home ever since, with the current Lord and Lady Davies moving into the house after his mother’s death in 1966.
In 2001 a fire devastated the top floor of the house, and over a period of 2 years parts of the roof and house were rebuilt and much of the house was redecorated.
In 2011 the current Lord and Lady Davies decided to “downsize” and have moved out. Their daughter Eldrydd and her family have decided to move back to the area from Australia to look after Plas Dinam and allow other people to enjoy staying there.
Broneirion - built by David Davies for himself in 1864, now a Conference Centre and home of Girlguiding Cymru.